I've been on a quest for some time now to find a really good, no-sugar added fruit spread or as I still think of them, fruit jam. Well, I finally found a true "jam-gem" !
I am just loving Crofter's Organic Just Fruit Spread! I've got a jar of the Black Currant flavour right now, that's going down oh so quickly!
Here is some information about this product from the Crofter's website:
"Fragrant black currants, better known in France as “cassis,” have a distinct, tart flavor. This European shrub berry is uncommon to North America, but once you’ve enjoyed a warm, buttery biscuit lathered with our Black Currant Just Fruit Spread, we think it’ll be your new favorite. These deep purple berries are laden with polyphenols and vitamin C. Available in 10 oz jars.
All seven of our Just Fruit Spreads are made with 100% fruit ingredients using concentrated organic grape juice as a sweetener. We source our concentrate from an Italian winemaker who understands both the art and science of working with grapes.
Although producing a high-quality fruit-juice-sweetened spread can be technically challenging, our Sicilian grape master’s methods yield a concentrate that gives our fruit spreads a perfect texture and spreadability — without compromising color and flavor."
What's so different about Crofter's Just Fruit Spread?
- First and foremost, it's just the right sweetness, a bit tart actually and definitely not like so many other similar jams that are filled with added sugar and thickeners and not much when it comes to fruit. Full of flavour.
- And speaking of fruit, there are lots of black currants in this jam. Nice and chunky!
- Organic of course is always my first preference and Crofter's Just Fruit Spread contains certified organic fruit.
- I even like the label. Such a cute black bear!
- Price was right too. Less than $5. CDN. for the 235 ML. jar. The U.S. size on their site is 10 oz. which is a bit bigger than the one I have. Crofter's products are available at stores throughout Canada and the U.S. Also online at the Crofter's site for U.S. customers.
- Calories, ok. 35 calories in a 15 ML/1 Tablespoon serving.
And if you've ever wondered what the different names for jams, jellies....mean, Crofter's has a information page about the various terms here. For me, it's still just JAM! And this one is tres yummy! And that's what really matters.
I'm looking forward to trying all 7 flavours of Crofter's Organic Just Fruit Spread.
It's available in: Apricot, Blackberry, Raspberry,Strawberry, SuperFruit, Wild Blueberry in addition to the Black Currant.
If you've been looking for a really good, no-sugar added, commercial fruit spread/jam, give Crofter's a try. I think you'll be glad you did. A superior product.
Now I'm off to make a piece of toast. Topped with a generous dollop of Crofter's Just Fruit Spread, of course!
Overall rating for this product: Excellent. 5 out of 5.
Updated rating (as of June 12- see comment below) Fair. 2 out of 5.